Be an Au Pair in Spain!
Who Can Apply
- Males or females aged 18 – 30 years old
- You enjoy working with children and have childcare experience
- You are able to communicate in Spanish or English
We accept participants from:
EU (Schengen area), UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, USA, and South Africa.
You are welcome to join the program
at any time throughout the year.
The exact arrival date in Spain will be agreed
upon and confirmed by your host family.
Your stay can begin at any given date, depending on existing vacancies as well as your skills, childcare experience and (if required) ability to drive, etc
Length of Stays
You could choose to stay 1, 2 or all 3 of these months.
Minimum stay during the school period is 3-6 months, although most host families prefer longer stays.
Au Pairin Spain
Becoming an Au Pair in Spain is the perfect way to make new friends and learn or improve your Spanish language skills.
This intercultural experience is a great way to help others improve or learn your native language, and gain insight into Spanish culture. If you’re looking for a safe and supportive way to experience Spain—this program is the way to go!
- Time Off
- Work Schedule
- Weekly Allowance
- Babysitting: Once or twice a week -never 2 nights in a row-
- Child care, preparing children´s meals. taking care of their clothes, driving/taking them to school and other appointments, etc.
- In most cases assisting them with their English, French or German
- Keep your room clean and tidy
- Respect the familys’ rules
You will never be asked to do heavy household chores as 90% of our host families have a cleaner in charge of such duties and some of them are live-in staff. However, the participant will be expected to take a reasonable role with day to day household chores, such as helping to prepare meals, helping to set up the table, put dishes in the dishwasher, general tidying up of the children´s stuff, etc.
- 2 days a week If you work 5 hours daily
- 1 or 2 days off in a row If you work 6 hours/daily
- Outside of your work schedule you will be free to manage your own time
Participants are entitled to one paid holiday week after a 6 month stay, and to two paid holiday weeks after a 12 month stay. Dates should be agreed with your host family.
Depending on the family´s needs:
- 25 hours/week
- 30 hours/week
Please, keep in mind that during school holidays you may be requested to extend your work schedule. In that case your host family will pay you extra.
During summer months the participant may be asked to join the family at their holiday destination.
Depending on your weekly hours of work:
- 25 hour: 80€/week
- 30 hours: 100€/week
Assistance & Advice
When applying and with Host Family Placements.
Booking & enrolment
in a Spanish Course (should you like to attend one)
We supply you with the documents needed and guidance through the applying process (should you need one)
Throughout your stay in Spain
If you arrive within reasonable hours
In your own private room
7 days a week
- 25 hours: 80€/Week
- 30 hours: 100€/Week
With tons of useful info sent via email
Access to FB Group
Where you can meet other participants in your area
24 hours Emergency Phone
I WANT TO BE AN
Au Pair in Spain
Meet Jordan from the UK
Check the other programs out
- Do I need to speak Spanish?
- How does the matching process work?
- Do I get to speak to the family before I depart?
- How do I interview with familes?
- What happens if I don't get matched with a Host Family?
- Do I get to choose where to go?
- How does the payment work?
- Does the fee include flights?
- How will the family pay me my pocket money?
- I´m not an EU passport holder. Can I still apply?
Don’t worry about being fluent in the language, we just ask that you get to grips with the basics before you go. Not only does this demonstrate to the family a willingness to learn but it also makes settling in that bit easier.
You’ll be matched once you’ve completed all required documents. Please be aware that it will take from 1-8 weeks to be matched, as we want to ensure we match you to the right family. Smaller Earth will notify you each time a family has requested to interview you.
Interviews with families will take place over Skype and it’s advisable you chat to them at least twice to ensure you feel comfortable and have asked them any questions you may have.
You may only Skype with one family before the match is confirmed, or it may several families – it’s all perfectly normal and is different per Participant.Absolutely! In fact we can’t encourage this enough. Once you have been matched, it’s a good idea to email or call the family a few times before you depart just to maintain regular contact.
In fact we can’t encourage this enough. Once you have been matched, it’s a good idea to email or call the family a few times before you depart just to maintain regular contact.
Most interviews are conducted via Skype – so make sure you have a good internet connection and a webcam.
Hopefully this situation won’t arise due to the screening of your application. Club RCI have a lot of experience interviewing Participants and we know what families look for.
You can let us know if you have a location preference, but please note that this isn’t guaranteed. We prefer to avoid matching Participants and Host Families purely based on location; instead we try to match your interests, hobbies and experience. Remember that you will have plenty of time to socialise on your time off and explore all that Spain has to offer. So, if you’d love to go to a different city for a weekend, you can get planning with your new friends!
The fee is due only once your match with a Host Family has been confirmed.
The program fee does not include flights. However, you should be able to find cheap and reasonable flights with low budget airlines.
Families will usually pay you in cash. If you have another preferred way of being paid, this is something you can discuss with them in more detail once your match has been confirmed.
– Only applicable to Au Pair, Au Pair Plus and Teach & Play programmes. Tutors DO NOT get a weekly allowance-
- EU (Schengen area): Citizens from EU countries from the Schengen area do not require a visa, regardless of the length of stay.
- New Zealand
- USA and
- South Africa.
- New Zealand
- USA and
- South Africa.